I disappeared again for a few weeks. But this weekend I took an extra day off from work and one of the first things I did was to photograph and organize my pots. There are lots of pots and lots of photos, so I am breaking them up into a few posts, but hey, at least they’re going up, am I right?
Let’s start with those mugs from last session… I’ll post a few angles of each cup and tell you what I was “testing.” The way the soda hits clay in the firing can make it look like completely different pots, depending on what side you’re looking at. Hence multiple photos per pot.
This is a tumbler covered with thick iron oxide wash. The inside was just clear glaze, which possibly ran on one side to create that blonde spot.
This is a modified mug. If you look closely, the handle side is more indented and differently indented than the other side. The concept is, I guess, to have a sassier looking cup. The inside was apple green glaze and the outside is just B clay that got hit with soda pretty hard, particularly on the side with the green/gray drips.
This one was dipped in yellow slip, then I painted on and dripped wax resist where the yellow is and wiped away the rest. Finally, before the first firing I made a few scrape marks with a serrated rib down the sides. After the first firing, I did a black underglaze wash to accentuate the scrape marks. The inside was plain clear glaze. Again, this is B clay.
This one is a sculpted tumbler. I threw a plain cylinder, a little bit on the thick side, and carved the design into it, adding a little bit of clay in a few spots on the bottom, but mostly just carving away. The inside is Lau Shino and the outside is just raw B clay.
This one’s a cappuccino cup. It’s raw B clay with a Tom’s Purple stripe. The inside is Rutile Blue which didn’t photograph well. I really don’t like this stripe…
Last but not least, another carved mug. I just carved in lines and smoothed them with a sponge. The outside is raw B clay and the inside is Tea Dust.
And that’s all, folks! That’s all for now.